Monday, October 10, 2011

4th Thesis Meeting


On to plan B!!


Apartments buildings have proved to be extremely difficult to use as a location for user research. I have contacted several apartment managers, including my own manager and a CMU professor. None were able to let me into their building due to respecting the privacy of their tenants. It's a very reasonable circumstance, just one that I did not foresee when committing to this context. I also tried stalling outside of apartment buildings in downtown Pittsburgh waiting for residents to interview. The responses I received were of security guards reminding me of the sign that said "No Loitering" or just standing around for half an hour with nobody walking by (perhaps people use the garages and private entrances more?). 


It's time to revamp my thesis!! No more sticking to apartment buildings. There are several other areas that would make a great context (maybe even better than an apartment building). 


What I have in mind so far:
-Laundromats
-Courtyards
-Allies
-Parking areas
-Playgrounds


Along with problems from Apartment managers, I've also had a considerable amount of problems with IRB. They rejected my application, saying it is considered a class project because I stated that the final production will be shared only with the school of design. In order to work around this, I must state that I will publish my findings, but that must be my true intentions. I am so confused by this, and much of my imagination and energy has been wasted trying to solve this problem. 


It's time to move on. I've commenced surveys, participatory design sessions, and interviews, and I will be attempting to resolve my IRB issues in the meantime. If there is a problem with the research I am conducting now, I will not use it in any publications or for public knowledge, only as personal inspiration.


Take that, IRB!

No comments:

Post a Comment